Dr. Craig S. Wilson continues to be at the forefront of dental advances and technologies by providing laser dentistry.
The FDA approved Biolase Laser has truly revolutionized dentistry. Dr. Wilson was one of the first practitioners in the state to incorporate it into his practice and is still the only provider in the area to offer this service. He has been practicing laser dentistry since 2002.
One half of the United States population does not visit a dental office regularly for preventive care, often due to the fear of a dental drill and/or the dental needle. Treatment by Dr. Wilson’s dental laser means that the sight and discomfort of the dental needle, along with the sounds and vibration of the drill, are now eliminated.
Dr. Wilson is now able to remove dental decay and treat cavities without a dental drill or needle. The laser’s energized hydrokinetic action selectively removes decay and diseased enamel and dentin while leaving healthy tooth structure intact for conservative tooth-colored restorations.
This laser is clearly a breakthrough in dentistry. Additionally, it can treat a wide variety of soft tissue conditions, such as periodontitis (gum disease), apthous ulcers (canker sores), and fibromas (tumors), much like a traditional surgical laser would.
In addition to the Biolase Laser, Dr. Wilson also uses the Diagnodent laser. This laser is used to diagnose decay in teeth more accurately than can be visually or tactilly detected by traditional means and does not expose patients to radiation. This early detection allows teeth to be restored with minimally invasive techniques.
In combination with an air-waterspray, this Hydrokinetic YSGG laser is able to replace the drill in many instances. No longer will the whine of the drill be heard, but rather a popping sound similar to that of popcorn popping. Since there is no heat or vibration from the laser, the need for anesthetic (THE SHOT) is eliminated in most cases!
The Dual Wavelength WaterLase iPlus™ All tissue Laser; no drills, no needles… it’s pain-free! in most cases
What is Hydrokinetic technology?
The Hydrokinetic process is the removal of tissues with YSGG laser-energized water droplets. Hydrokinetic energy is produced by combining a spray of atomized water with laser energy. The resulting Hydrokinetic energy gently and precisely removes a wide range of human tissue including tooth enamel (the hardest substance in the body), and soft tissue (gum tissue) with no heat and no pain in most cases.
What are the benefits of the Hydrokinetic laser?
- Heat and vibration are the causes of most of the pain associated with the drill. Since Hydrokinetic cutting does not transmit heat or vibration, MOST DENTAL PROCEDURES CAN BE PERFORMED WITH NO PAIN, VIRTUALLY ELIMINATING THE NEED FOR ANESTHESIA IN MOST CASES.
- The laser’s pinpoint accuracy is precise enough that your dentist can leave behind as much healthy tooth structure as possible, allowing you to keep your own teeth longer.
- Effectively performs numerous soft tissue (gums) procedures with little or no bleeding. The laser gives your dentist a new high-tech tool for many procedures that previously required referral to a specialist. Now you can have them performed during your scheduled appointment.
- Avoids many common problems of the high speed drill, including cracks in the teeth from the vibration and rapid turing of the drill burrs which can weaken your teeth, creating future problems. The laser sterilizes as it cuts, leaving less chance for bacterial contamination.
- The iPlus™ prepares your teeth in a way that maximizes the bonding of tooth colored fillings, allowing them to last longer.
iPlus™ vs. Drill
The high speed dental drill may cause a smear layer, a layer of dead organic material. The iPlus™ creates cuts with NO smear layer, providing a better surface for bonding, and allowing your filling to last longer.
Is the laser safe?
In the hands of your trained dentist, the iPlus™ is as safe as other medical devices. With it’s 2 mm active range from the tip, the laser provides pinpoint accuracy, reducing the chance of causing damage to healthy tissues. The primary safety measure necessary during laser treatment is proper protective glasses.
What can the iPlus™ be used for?
- Decay Removal
- Cavity Preparation
- Reshape “gummy” smiles
- General soft tissue procedures
- General dentistry for enamel and dentin
- Avoid being “numbed”
- Avoid the shot and pain
Want to know more?
Call Dr. Wilson’s office at 860-388-9774 for further information or an appointment to have your dental care performed by laser!